I pray this finds you well. Thank you for being in the Holy Spirit Prayer Team with me.
The Holy Spirit Prayer Team is a group of people worldwide who are praying that the Holy Spirit would fall afresh upon people, the Church, and our world as we have seen throughout history when significant renewals have occurred.
When I was in my final years of school, my father would drop my brothers and me at school on his way to work. As we drove, Dad would listen to news programs that focused on international news in the car. As an impressionable young person, I remember thinking how violent the world was as I heard about all manner of unrest, whether in people’s homes, groups in countries or between countries. Politics within and between countries seemed to dominate the news, along with reports of natural disasters and the accompanying destruction and loss of life.
The news scared me and I remember thinking and praying that this violence did not come to where I was or those I love.
I used to think why did God let all this happen if He was good and capable of intervening.
That was a time when more people went to Church and on the surface, had greater faith. Even then, however, growing secularism and godlessness were everywhere. We just didn’t see it as we do now. Numbers in Churches were dropping slowly in countries all over the world. Even my school friends were slowly stopping going to Church.
Today decades on not much seems to have changed when it comes to the news and political upheavals. While the names are changed, the stories are not that different. What is different in our world is that the Church and the message of the Gospel that God loves us has been pushed even further to the side. Today, many people live without God or, if they do acknowledge Him, no longer attend the Church, no matter what kind of Church it is.
You are receiving this message from me because some time ago, you felt the urge to pray for the coming of the Holy Spirit afresh upon the earth when I asked people to join me in prayer. You will recall I said that I would communicate with you from time to time, encouraging you and joining with you in prayer.
After His resurrection from the tomb, Jesus said that He was ascending to the Father and that the Holy Spirit would come and be with us (Acts 14:16). Further, that from the Father and the Son, the Holy Spirit would proceed and fall upon people across the earth, giving us capacity and power beyond human capability (Acts 1:8). The Holy Spirit, the life of God, would remind us of what Jesus taught us and also teach us new things. (Acts 14:25).
For the open heart, the Holy Spirit would guide, lead and draw us into the much bigger plan of God for humanity than I had ever thought life and the world was about back when I listened to the news on my way to school as a child.
Throughout history, there have been extraordinary times when God has intervened on earth bringing renewal as people have encountered God anew. The divine plan of God, our Father, is that all people would know His love and the Lordship of Jesus Christ in their personal lives. It is the action of the Holy Spirit that draws us to God and works in our lives to bring us to a deeper holiness. This is God’s plan for everyone.
• Throughout history, waves of renewal have swept the earth drawing countless numbers of people to this relationship with God and others back to this relationship with God.
• Throughout history, God has placed a desire for God in the hearts of people as they live their lives through their jobs, families and where they are.
• Throughout history, God has raised men and women in worldwide movements or local environments to draw people back to God.
• Throughout history, organizations and ministries have begun that have been the hands and feet of God to the poor and disadvantaged, caring for the sick and elderly and in the education of people and nations.
• Throughout history, God has called men and women to respond through vocations to ministry and raised leaders to draw people to Christ.
• Throughout history, when people have been disconnected from God, like many in our families or our friends, a group of people have begun to pray, ‘Come Holy Spirit fall afresh upon the earth and the Church.’
The Holy Spirit enables human beings to respond to God’s plan of relationship with people.
From these times of the Holy Spirit working in people’s lives, miraculous renewal has occurred. People far from or close to God have encountered Him personally, both individually and through powerful movements and groups, large and small.
I pray the following prayer before I get out of bed in the morning and before every meal. I want praying to the Holy Spirit to be the cry of my heart. God loves us, Jesus set us free and it is the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives that draws us to God.
Lord Jesus, give me and every member of my Church Community a hunger today to see
all people encounter you as their personal Lord and Savior.
Almighty God, three persons in one, send your Holy Spirit upon me,
upon us, upon the Church, upon the world.
Upon … (add personal prayers).
Come Holy Spirit. Amen.
I am inviting you and encouraging you to join me every day in praying to the Holy Spirit to fall afresh upon the earth as we do the following:
• Pray to the Holy Spirit at least once.
• Be open to what the Holy Spirit might whisper in your heart about your life, what you need to do and what God might be asking of you.
• Continually surrender your life to God and making Jesus more deeply the Lord and Savior of your life.
I am going to send you a special card as a reminder with this and other prayers as you pray, ‘Come Holy Spirit.’
Thank you for being on this journey with me. I am excited that God continues to move in the hearts of people. May we respond by giving our heart and life to Him
In the comments below, you can pray and share stories of the work of the Holy Spirit in your life and the world around you.
Come Holy Spirit.